Shell Tellus S2 MX 46
Industrial Hydraulic Fluid, Group II Base Oil Technology, Industrial Applications Shell Tellus S2 MX 46 fluids are high performance hydraulic fluids based on Group II base oils that provide outstanding protection and performance in most manufacturing and many mobile equipment operations. They resist breakdown under heat or mechanical stress and help prevent damaging deposit formation that can decrease the efficiency of your hydraulic power system.
Performance, Features & Benefits
- Long fluid life – maintenance saving: Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids help extend equipment maintenance intervals by resisting thermal and chemical breakdown. This minimizes any harmful sludge formation and provides better reliability and system cleanliness. Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids also have good stability in the presence of moisture, which ensures long fluid life and reduces the risk of corrosion and rusting, particularly in moist or humid environments.
- Outstanding wear protection: Tellus S2 MX is designed to meet the demands of hydraulic systems well in to the future, including new specifications such as Bosch Rexroth Fluid Rating RDE 90245 and enhanced extreme pressure performance in the FZG test(FLS 11 at ISO VG 32). It also demonstrates excellent performance in the tough Denison T6H20C (dry and wet versions) and the demanding Eaton Vickers 35VQ25. Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids can help system components last longer.
- Maintaining system efficiency: Excellent filter-ability and high performance water separation, air release and anti foam characteristics all help contribute to maintaining or enhancing the efficiency of hydraulic systems. Optimization of friction characteristics also helps reduce harmful stick-slip effects.An oil cleanliness particle count of ISO 4406 20/18/15 or better (measured at the point of filling) helps reduce the impact of contaminants on filter blocking, allowing both extended filter life and enhancing equipment protection.
Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids are formulated for exceptional foam control and excellent air release to facilitate efficient hydraulic power transfer and minimise fluid and equipment impacts of cavitation induced oxidation that can shorten fluid life.
Main Applications For Shell Tellus S2 MX 46
- Industrial hydraulic systems: Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids are suitable for a wide range of hydraulic power applications found in manufacturing and industrial environments.
- Mobile hydraulic fluid power transmission systems: Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids can be used effectively in mobile hydraulic power applications such as excavators and cranes,except where significant ambient temperature variations are encountered. For these applications we recommend ShellTellus S2 VX.
- Marine hydraulic systems: Suitable for marine applications where ISO HM category hydraulic fluids are recommended.
Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
Product is designed to meet:
- Bosch Rexroth Fluid Rating RDE 90245
- Parker Denison (HF-0, HF-1, HF-2)
- Eaton E-FDGN-TB002-E
- Fives (Cincinnati Machine) P-70
- ISO 11158 (HM fluids)
- DIN 51524 Part 2 HLP type
- ASTM D6158-05 (HM fluids)
- Swedish Standard SS 15 54 34 AM
Compatibility & Miscibility Compatibility
Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids are suitable for use with most hydraulic pumps.
- Fluid Compatibility: Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids are compatible with most other mineral oil based hydraulic fluids. However, mineral oil hydraulic fluids should not be mixed with other fluid types (e.g. environmentally acceptable or fire resistant fluids).
- Seal & Paint Compatibility: Shell Tellus S2 MX fluids are compatible with seal materials and paints normally specified for use with mineral oils.
Health, Safety & Environment Health and Safety
Shell Tellus S2 MX hydraulic fluid is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application and good standards of personal hygiene are maintained. Avoid contact with skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water. Guidance on Health and Safety is available on the appropriate Material Safety Data Sheet, which can be obtained fromhttp://www.epc.shell.com/Protect the Environment
Take used oil to an authorised collection point. Do not discharge into drains, soil or water.
4L, 20L, 209L
|ISO Fluid Type||
|Kinematic Viscosity @0ºC cSt||
580 (ASTM D445)
|Kinematic Viscosity @40ºC cSt||
46 (ASTM D445)
|Kinematic Viscosity @100ºC cSt||
6.9 (ASTM D445)
105 (ISO 2909)
|Density @15ºC kg/l||
0.856 (ISO 12185)
|Flash Point (COC) ºC||
230 (ISO 2592)
|Pour Point ºC||
-30 (ISO 3016)
L0.5 (ASTM D1500)
|Water Separation (Mins)||
20 (ASTM D1401)
|TOST Life (Hours Min.)||
5000 (ASTM D943)
The product specifications listed above may vary from time to time and may not all be available for sale in your specific country. To obtain a specific recommendation for your vehicle from our product portfolio, please use our free online oil recommendation tool, Shell Lubematch